Monday, November 19, 2007

Words & Web Charity: A new slant on the power of the word...


In case you're always looking for the perfect, not-too-consuming online procrastination tool and scrabulous has left you feeling less than fabulous (come on...xi!? a word? even for word junkies like myself it's a bit much at times), check out freerice.com. The makers of this site have designed a word game that tests your vocabulary in which each correct guess adds ten grains of rice to your donation pile. While I'm not entirely convinced as of yet that each grain of my hard-earned rice actually makes it to the mouths of those who need it, and I am slightly unsure of how I feel about the "making a game of charity" thing, I do advocate any opportunity to combine two great things. In a way, it's an example of the best of what web 2.0 has to offer: web-charity-as-business-model or, better yet, business-model-as-web-charity. Or something like that.

No comments: